Friday 19 December 2014

Experiences 2

Sometimes timely decision taken in managing affairs outsmart the ethics of decision making significantly. Quick decision making is important than contemplating whether decision is right or wrong .  This is also being advocated by modern management studies.  But such things can be learned in much better way by experience rather than reading books on the subject.
I would like here to narrate a story when I was posted at Jawahir Nagar Branch of my Bank as Manager Accounts now redesignated as Manager Branch operations and the year was1998.  Our Jawahir Nagar Branch was high clientele branch.  Most of our customers were high Govt.officials, retired High Court Judges and top police officers. Our branch was showing good business even in the period of militancy.
Once Our Branch Manager , who  incidentally  happened to be an experienced person, was on vacations and out of station. Therefore, I was the In charge of  branch.  During these days two persons arrived at the branch and approached  me with a packet of hundred rupee notes with a broken seal and told me that they have been sent by Ex DG of police, who was residing near the branch and was also customer of our branch. They further told me that ten hundred rupee notes are missing from the packet and  you please  make good the loss as advised by Ex DGP. I told them plainly that we are not responsible for the seal broken packet and can not do anything in the matter. Then after sometime I received a telephone call from the ex DGP
and when I advised same to him he said to me. " Look Mr Kaul what are you saying to me
Act like a Manager, investigate into the matter and call enquiry of all the concerned staff members and  find out the culprit. I told him most humbly that we can not hold responsible any staff member as the seal of packet is broken and notes are arranged haphazardly which clearly show that some tampering has been done with note packet afterwards.
The DGP became very angry and  told me that he has broken the seal of packet himself and noticed the shortfall personally and I should not expect lies from him. I could not do anything in it and left the  matter as it is.
Then after few days Branch Manager joined the branch and I reported the matter to him. He without wasting any further time visited Ex DGPs residence and handed over to him ten hundred rupee notes  and apologised to him. But DGP did not accept those notes and told him that I will not accept these notes as I know you are giving these notes from your own pocket. Then he immediately  cancelled the complaint  which he was going to make against the branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment