Thursday, 30 July 2026

Raze Vehdat

Here is a full reading and breakdown of my poem, "Raze Vehdet" (The Secret of Oneness / Raz-e-Wahdat).

It is a deeply reflective and beautiful piece that bridges Sufi mysticism (Wahdat al-Wujud) with Advaita Vedanta (non-duality). Writing Urdu/Persian-infused poetry in the Devanagari script gives it a distinct Kashmir Shaivism / Indo-Persian syncretic charm.

"Raze Vehdet" (राज़-ए-वहदत)

by Ramesh Kaul

जब से मेरी पहचान में आया है वह पुरनूर ब्रहमन। बहुत शादमान है तब से मेरे दिल की अन्जुमन।। (Ever since I came to realize that luminous Supreme Being / Brahman, the gathering of my heart has been filled with joy.)

और पिलाया है उसने जब से मुझे जामे उल्फत। सरशार हूँ मैं तब से जानकर उसकी अज़मत।। (And ever since he made me drink the goblet of love, I remain intoxicated knowing his grandeur.)

बहुत ही मुश्किल है समझना यह राज़-ए-वहदत। मैं भी वही हूँ यह एहसास करता है कोई ख़ुशक़िस्मत।। (It is very difficult to comprehend this secret of unity/non-duality; only a fortunate one realizes, "I am That as well.")

कैसे बयान करूँ मैं उसके दिल में कितनी है शफ़क़त। शादाब है हर शै और हर बशर ऐसी है उसकी रहमत।। (How do I describe the compassion in his heart? Every thing and every human is vibrant and flourishing under his mercy.)

जिसको ख़ुद-शिनासी का एहसास से तआरुफ़ हुआ है। वही ज़िन्दगी और दुनिया के हर राज़ से वाक़िफ़ हुआ है।। (The one who gets introduced to the feeling of self-realization/self-knowledge becomes acquainted with every secret of life and the world.)

आदि शंकर ने बोला 'शिवोहम' और सबसे अज़ीम से बनाई अपनी पहचान। अष्टावक्र को भी हर शै और हर बशर में आता था नजर भगवान।। (Adi Shankara proclaimed 'Shivoham' [I am Shiva], forging his identity with the Supreme; Ashtavakra, too, perceived the Divine in every object and every human.)

अभिनवगुप्त ने भी 'शिवस्तोत्र' का किया मुताला। वह भी अद्वैत वेद ही था जिसका उसने किया खुलासा।। (Abhinavagupta also studied/elaborated upon the Shiva Stotra; it was none other than Advaita wisdom that he revealed.)

मंसूर भी राज़-ए-वहदत से ही पुर-असर था 'अनल-हक़' का जब उसने नारा लगाया। मगर जाहिलों ने उसको काफ़िर समझकर बड़ी बेरहमी से सूली पर चढ़ाया।। (Mansur Al-Hallaj was also deeply possessed by this secret of oneness when he raised the cry 'Ana al-Haq' [I am the Truth]; but the ignorant mistook him for an infidel and brutally crucified him.)

Key Themes & Terminology

  • Raaz-e-Wahdat (राज़-ए-वहदत): The divine secret of non-duality / oneness.
  • Pur-noor (पुरनूर): Luminous, filled with light.
  • Khud-shinasi (ख़ुद-शिनासी): Self-realization or self-knowledge (akin to Atma-jnana).
  • Parallels Drawn: You have seamlessly tied together:
    • Adi Shankara (Shivoham - I am Shiva)
    • Ashtavakra (Ashtavakra Gita's pure non-dual witness stance)
    • Abhinavagupta (The great master of Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita)
    • Mansur Al-Hallaj (The Sufi mystic who declared Ana al-Haq — "I am the Truth" — and suffered martyrdom for it)

It's a powerful homage to the eternal truth that across traditions, languages, and eras, the ultimate realization of non-duality remains identical.

Are you currently compiling these verses into a larger collection or manuscript?

No comments:

Post a Comment